Shopify vs Etsy 2019 — Which is better for your Ecommerce business?
Let’s dive deep and compare everything about both platform options for your Ecommerce business.
Etsy is a good place to start for new makers/product businesses. It’s easy to get up and running and start your own store for cheap.
It’s currently 20 cents to list your product on Etsy. Because of the extremely low cost to entry, it can be a good testing ground for your products. You only pay transaction fees if your product sells.
- Super cheap to begin
- People are used to shopping on Etsy, there’s a built-in trust factor with their brand and platform
- Etsy has built in search functionalities, increasing your chances of getting found
- User-friendly, no web design skills needed
- Potential to be featured by Etsy
- Etsy fees can get expensive with higher volume of products
- Limited on design
- Limited brand recognition
- Lots of competition on Etsy
- Not able to save emails of customers, harder to get repeat customers
- Doesn’t always feel “legit” enough for some purposes
Shopify (affiliate link) is an all-in-one Ecommerce platform. It’s flexible, able to scale, and has so many features, it’s hard to even contain them in a list. It’s a seriously well-built platform.
With Shopify, you can have a fully professional multi-page Ecommerce website. You have the control to create a unique customer experience that aligns with your own brand.
- 24/7 support, including phone support
- Minimal to no downtime
- Shopify’s POS lets you sell online and in person, with one inventory
- Easy to understand analytics
- Easily manage large inventory
- SEO friendly (add SEO content just about everywhere on your site)
- Super easy checkout process (Shopify Pay, Apple Pay and/or Google Pay make it even more seamless)
- Shoppable Instagram posts and Buyable pins on Pinterest
- An app store that enables you to expand the features of your store
- Blogging platform
- No built-in searchable engine — you need to create and drive your own traffic
- Monthly fees, may cost more than Etsy depending on volume
- Higher up-front cost — typically requires a designer to set up your shop
Shopify’s plans start at $29/month and go up to $299/month.
Want to try Shopify?
Sign up for a free trial. (Affiliate link)
Which one should you choose?
For most new businesses, Etsy is a low-risk, low-cost way to validate your product and make sure you’re making/selling something that people want to buy.
Once you’ve established that, consider switching to Shopify. If sales are picking up and you want to grow them more, Shopify is where you want to be. There’s a higher up-front cost, but much more potential to expand and grow your revenue, and truly build your own brand.
If you already have a retail location or are selling at in-person occasionally, starting on Shopify is a good bet. Their sales channels makes it seamless to manage multiple inventories, which will save a lot of time and headache.
We can help.
At Launch Party, we design and build Shopify websites for our clients in just 4 weeks. Within a month, you could be up and running your own Shopify store. If you’re looking to increase your online sales, let’s chat! Start by reading more about the Launch Party process and when you’re ready, send a message here.